Thursday, January 8, 2009

How now little brown cow?

Yea! Some long awaited pictures of my beautiful heifer Daisy. After much searching for the perfect milk cow, I got Daisy last June from a wonderful friend by weedling and begging and not so subtle hinting. My friend (yes, even after all the begging I still get to call her a friend) treats her animals so well, and is very dedicated to being as natural and organic as possible. Daisy was born and raised on her farm with the best of care. I've been wanting a milk cow for a long time, but they're rather scarce in these parts (it's beef cattle country). Being able to get Daisy at a young age (she just turned 2 in Dec. 08) and raised so well was just plain lucky. She is bred for an April 09 calf... hopefully! I'm so excited about the arrival of the calf I feel like if I count on it happening it somehow won't. I know... silly... but still! Carts before horses and counting chics and all that nonsense.
I'm posting some of these pictures so the good folks on the SmallFamilyJerseys list can help me evaluate Daisy's body condition. She's been a little, errr... chubby and I've been trying to get weight off her. Too much fat on a dairy cow is bad. Or so I keep telling myself. In my mind well covered ribs = well loved. I mean, just look at me! Ha! Believe it or not, Daisy has lost some weight! I think she looks pretty darn good, but then, what do I know? I look at obese horses and beef cattle all day. The cute cow snap shots are below the 'Here, evaluate my not as fat as she used to be heifer' pictures. :)

Daisy's favorite position... head inserted in feed bucket. Between the fur and the fuzzing effect of the photos it's hard to see, but you really can see the last few long ribs. The short ribs are pretty well rounded over.


Look at that cute itty bitty udder! It's actuall gotten bigger in the last few months. Hmm... a sign something is cookin' in there?


It doesn't show up well, but you CAN see ribs.




Once the feed ran out (which it does quickly because she only gets a handful) Daisy decided to come inspect the camera. I've been really amazed at how curious and friendly Daisy is. Having never owned a cow before I always thought they were a little, well, lacking in the personality department. Boy was I wrong! If we're out in the pasture or yard Daisy is right there either watching us or getting into whatever we're doing. I've also noticed that she is much friendlier with her 'family' vs. strangers. She also likes me (boy do I feel special!) more than anyone else around here. Helps that I deliver the feed bucket.


Just look at that face, is she not the most beautiful heifer ever? No. Of course I'm not biased. My children are the most beautiful children ever too.


Here's a shot over my shoulder as I'm rubbing her neck. That head thrown up in itchy spot bliss turned into a head whipped around to give me an elbow to eyebrows lick a second later. Ewww!! That was the end of our photo session. I had to go in and change shirts and wash up. Cow slobbery love.

3 comments:

Tami said...

Liz,
Found you here through the Small Family Jersey group, love the photos! I am sure you'll get a lot of good feedback from the group, I'm no expert on body condition, but I wanted to forward another blog address to you, Throwback at Trapper Creek - (http://matronofhusbandry.wordpress.com/) I love this site and she did have a posting with nice pics a while back. Enjoy dear Daisy!

Teacupliz said...

Hi I am on the same group-
I blog too when I have time.
You cow looks fine.

Deborah said...

Great photos, makes me want one all the more. Hopefully I can in the not so near future. I have to convince my hubbie of the reasons why we need a cow and goats. Will have to check your blog frequently for more photos to use as a convincing tool. See you around the "homesteadingwomen" group.